Brief History of Bay Area Showcase Chorus
The chorus was organized in July 1955, and chartered on January 4, 1956 as the San Jose Chapter of Sweet Adelines. The photo below shows the three top choruses from the 1956 regional convention. San Jose placed second. They are the chorus on the right side of this photo, wearing striped blouses. The winning chorus was Peninsula, in the center of the photo.
Bob Hokanson 1955-1959
Jerry Lynch 1959-1964
Johnnie Fagundes 1965-1968
Bev McVicker 1969-1973
Pat LeVezu 1973-2002
Julie Starr 2002-present
March 1957 1st place in Region 12 competition
March 1987 1st place in Region 12 competition and winners of the Most Improved Chorus award
October 1988 First time we went to Sweet Adelines International competition in Houston, TX, placed 17th
February 1990 El Camino Real Chorus disbanded and merged into San Jose Chorus
October 1991 Second time performing at Sweet Adelines International competition, San Antonio, TX, placed 10th
May 1993 Changed name to Bay Area Showcase Chorus
Region 12 BRAVO award:
in 2018 for the chorus with the highest member retention, 95.74% in the previous year
- There were 13 members when the chorus chartered in 1956
- Our members have ranged in age from 12 to 94
- We currently have over 140 members on our roster, with about 80 actively singing with the chorus
- Our membership turnover is low, only about 10% per year
- While most members live in the Bay area, some commute quite a distance to be together on Thursday evenings. We have members who live in Vacaville, San Francisco, Half Moon Bay, and Santa Cruz.
- Members include business and professional women, stay-at-home moms, retirees, and students.
We are known for:
- our varied musical repertoire, from traditional barbershop to contemporary songs, all in 4-part a cappella harmony
- our warm and welcoming nature
- the diversity in our membership, with women of all ages, backgrounds, and musical abilities
We have numerous quartets, including many that have placed in the top ten at Regional competition. Visit the Quartets page to see our current performing quartets.